Saturday, May 3, 2008

Staying Home vs. Going Back to Work

Before getting pregnant and even during my pregnancy I was convinced that I'd be back at work in no time. I was planning on the natural birth after which you're supposed to be on your feet the same day. I thought a couple of weeks of rest would be enough. I wasn't sure what I'd do with our munchkin but I thought that finding child care would not be a big deal (it's hard for me to write this realizing how naive I was).

Little did I know my way of thinking would change drastically from the moment I saw HER. Thank goodness my work allowed me to stay home for 6 weeks, and now I'm able to work only twice a week in the evenings. Even then leaving K at home is a heartbreaking event but knowing that she stays with daddy (not a stranger) helps a lot.

I used to be scared that there would be nothing to do when staying at home all day with a little baby. I used to babysit a lot but all my kids were at least 4 years of age, and playing with them was pure joy. How do you play with one that doesn't walk and talk?

First of all, there is so much to do during the day that we run out of time. There are days when I fail to take her out for a walk just because the evening is here before we know it. Second of all, Klaudia is such an easy baby to take care of; she doesn't need much to be entertained. Third, something that I didn't realize before: raising a child is a very natural thing. I'm not saying it's easy, but we learn it as we go. The ideas of what to do and how to do it come naturally. The feeling called LOVE has a lot to do with it, plus discussions with friends who have kids, and babycenter.com are helpful. Finally, spending time with my little pumpkin pie is so fulfilling that I would not exchange it for anything else. I LOVE BEING A MAMA!

No comments: