Friday, May 16, 2008

Doctor's Appointment

Although I read recently how the wellness appointments for infants are a waste of parents' time and a huge business for doctors and how perfectly healthy babies are then injected with tons of viruses weakening their pure immune system (oh, I could go forever here), I was looking forward to our 4-month wellness appointment yesterday. I could hardly wait to hear about Klauduszek's progress. Plus, I was anxious to talk to the doctor about K's little toes (more details to follow).

The first thing Dr. C said after he glanced at K was: "Look at her thighs!" Len and I don't know what the norm is for a 4-month old baby, but we found out that Klaudia is in the 90th% weight- and lengthwise. Her beautiful head is in the 95th%, which according to her doctor, this gives her tons of space for her brain to grow.

Recently I've been looking for more things in Klaudia that resemble me, and apart from her being right-handed (we're still not sure if that's true, but I really hope so:), I discovered one more thing that she definitely and unfortunately inherited from me - ingrown toe nails. I got these from my dad. He had gone through a couple of surgeries in his 20s. I've already had a few of these myself. And now our cute little flower is already suffering from them.

A couple of days ago, Len and I noticed that K's big toes were red (I suspected she'd have ingrown nails from the day she was born, I just didn't know they would bother her so soon). Yesterday one of her toes got infected. The normal procedure for me in this case would be to go to the podiatrist and have my foot numbed and the nail cut all the way from its root. (I start shivering just thinking about it). I was very nervous about having Klaudia go through it. How would they numb her little foot? How would we hold her still for the 10-15 minute procedure? Would they have to put her to sleep? It turned out that we don't have to do anything. Since she doesn't walk yet, her nail should grow forward, and the infection should heal itself. Yay!!!

No comments: