Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Water

Before introducing solids to K, I had not given her any water. I read that if the baby is only breastfed, the water is not needed since all the food the baby is getting is in a liquid form and the breast milk is all she needs. Also, giving her water could decrease the milk intake and that's not what we needed/wanted.

However with the introduction to solids, giving K the water was necessary to ensure a good digestion and the proper work of kidneys.

Since day 1, K was not crazy about water. I don't blame her, there is nothing to be crazy about, but somehow I had to make sure that she gets her proper water intake (up to 4oz. a day, at least 1 tablespoon after each feeding of solids). Each time I gave her a bottle of water, she was excited to take it thing it was mild, but once she tasted it, she'd spit it out fast and make a face as she was asked to drink bleach. I was happy with even that one sip.

Well, I'm excited to report that we've found the way to get K drink more water. Using a plastic bottle with a nipple (a regular feeding bottle), instead of waiting for K to suck on it, we squirt the water in her mouth. She absolutely loves it. She swallows all we squirt into her mouth and quickly opens it again waiting for more. We're all having fun with it.

No comments: