Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Food Update

When introducing solids to K, I made a commitment to make it the healthiest way possible. I'd like her little body to be as strong and healthy as it can be.

I inherited a great book from a friend of mine, "S.uper B.aby F.ood" by R.uth Y.aron. The author explains step by step how to prepare /feed/store many different homemade meals for babies. So, instead of buying for example rice cereal, I make it. None of the recipes from the book so far has taken me more than 15 minutes to prepare. K loves the food I make, and I'm having fun making it especially knowing how healthy it is.

I'm following the 4 day rule described by Y.aron where I give K a new kind of food for 4 days and check for allergies. And now because she is used to so many different veggies and fruits, I mix them together which creates a whole new taste for K. I absolutely love watching her reaction to different foods. So far only the avocado didn't agree with her (she loved it but kept throwing up in the evenings; we stopped giving it to her, she stopped vomiting) although we'll try to give it to her again soon to see if her stomach is ready for it (again, she loved the taste of it).

Here is the latest what K has been getting (so far only once a day, although I'll try twice a day starting this weekend). And, since the breast milk is still the most nutritious meal for her, I always nurse her before giving her any solids. And because she doesn't like the water, I nurse after the solids - it's supposed to be good for her little kidneys. Also, I add breast milk to those solids that are too thick for K to eat. So, here we go:
  • sweet potatoes + carrots
  • brown rice + carrots
  • brown rice + sweet potatoes + carrots
  • white potatoes
  • tofu
  • peas
  • bananas
  • apples
  • melon
  • mango
  • squash (I have to admit, I gave it to K from the jar, only because I don't know what it looks like)
Next week we're starting asparagus, egg yolk, peaches, apricots, and some juices, too. I can't wait to see K's reaction.

No comments: