Friday, April 30, 2010

The 1st Ear Infection?

I'm not sure; one thing I know is that it's gone and that it woke up K's appetite.

On Saturday morning last weekend, K and I went to see a doctor just in case. K had had a fever for a couple of days prior to that, and the night before I noticed a little cut in her ear. I feared an ear infection and wasn't sure if we could go without having it treated. I had let K play with the ear thermometer and had a feeling she scratched her ear with it, but on the other hand, I didn't know what the ear infection looked like, so we went to check it out.

That morning her fever was already gone. Len was gone for the weekend, and I knew most doctors wouldn't see patients on Sunday, so to avoid a possible trip to ER, we went to see a local pediatrician.

I made a mistake mentioning the ear infection to him. He looked into K's ear and said: "Yeah, it's red. Here is an antibiotic for the following week, that should help." The whole atmosphere changed when I asked the following questions: "So, the ear is red, but is it infected? The fever is gone, is it possible that the ear is healing on its own, and maybe K doesn't need the antibiotic?" All I wanted was for him to look at K as an individual, but maybe I'm expecting too much from a "weekend doctor".

I've been meaning to check some homeopathic doctors but didn't have a chance. It's good to have one "lined up" in situations like this.

I ended up waiting to see if K's symptoms would get worse, but instead she kept getting better. By Sunday she was herself again, and since then she's been eating like a horse (3 bowls of cereal for breakfast, etc). I ended up throwing the antibiotic away.

3 comments:

GabiSamMaxHoney said...

Kasiu zapalenie ucha jesli stwierdzone musi byc leczone antybiotykami inaczej mala moze stracic sluch

Jennifer said...

WOw, I had no idea this was going on, miss being connected to you. Same thing happened when we were out of town with Camille over 1 yr ago. I wonder if some doctors ever see a healthy ear? Luckily, my regular Ped we saw upon return home told me her ear was inflamed, but not infected...leave it alone. There are also a lot of scientific data, published in MD journals that show little or no evidence that antibiotics heal an ear infection faster than "wait & see." Check out "Raise a Healthy Child, In Spite of Your Doctor..." among other books like this. Wish I had an otoscope...look I can...http://www.amazon.com/Notoco-Otoscope-Home-Ear-Scope/dp/B000CEAXEM !

There are lots of herbal remedies. Also, youmay not ever find an MD that dabbles in homeopathy, but you probably will find an ND...

talk to you later,
Jennifer

Our Bug's Life said...

Gabi,
I agree, but you should have been there to see why I had doubts. The doctor was more interested in the political situation in Poland than K's ears. By asking him questions about the infection, I felt like I was interupting his conversation with me about our country. Plus, something I forgot to mention - I talked to the pharmacist when getting the antibiotic, and he said that a fever is usually a good indication of the "progress" of the infection. And, since K didn't have her fever any more, I decided to wait and see if she'd get better. And, she did.
Another thing is that I noticed that one of K's molars was out. She could be teething. She usually gets a high fever from that, too. So, I'm convinced it wasn't an ear infection.

Jennifer,
My sister has an awesome pediatrician back in Poland. He actually told her that her daughter has a tendency to have her ears inflamed and red during a cold, but that doesn't mean she has an ear infection. He does a lot of "wait-and-see"s instead of jumping into the antibiotics right away. My sister's daughter gets a very high fever each time she has a cold, but I guess that's her body's way of healing.

Thanks for the comments ladies!