Friday, July 2, 2010

Baby Fat

After having Klaudia, I went back to my prepregnancy weight within 6 weeks. I couldn't perfectly fit in my work clothes, but I was able to wear them anyway, and they were just fine within the following couple of weeks.

It's going to be 6 weeks since Maya's birth tomorrow. I've been breastfeeding, so I've had faith that just like last time, I'll be back to my normal weight in no time. Oh boy, was I wrong?!

I had my 6-week doctor appointment yesterday, and it turns out, not only am I still 14 pounds away from my prepregnancy weight, but I gained a pound within the last two weeks!!! And, I don't even want to try my work clothes on; I have a feeling my pants would stop somewhere around my knee level.

I'm not going to panic though; I do believe in the power of breastfeeding, but I am going to limit my dessert intake to only one time a day from now on.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey Kate,

Getting rid of my baby weight didn't require any effort other than breastfeeding after #1, but it was much more stubborn after #2 for me, too.

I definitely had to put in effort to get rid of my Elliot pounds--lots of walks. But when I got a little frustrated about how slowly the weight was coming off and started trying to limit things like cheese and peanut butter in my diet to speed up the process, my lactating body totally rebelled and I started feeling just awful and exhausted and cranky. As soon as I started eating plenty of fats again, I felt fine. So I was forced to just loose the weight at the speed my body wanted rather than the speed I wanted.

To lose the last five pounds or so, the thing that worked for me was to develop a horrible, horrible stomach flu. ;-)

-L

Our Bug's Life said...

Hey Lisa,
Thanks for your comment. So, stomach flu you're saying... Hmm, where do I get that? :)
And, yes, I remember while nursing Klaudia, every time I ate a bit less of something (due to my poor cooking skills not a diet), I had issues with my breast milk.
This time though for me it's not the fat I consume (well maybe), but mostly the sugar. Somehow I developed a sweet tooth and will now try to at least limit it. Plus, I'm sure getting some exercise would help lose a few pounds; I just need to find some time for it.

Lisa said...

Didn't mean to imply that your body wouldn't appreciate your efforts to limit dessert! :-)

Your post just made me think ruefully back to how spectacularly unsuccessful my own attempt to lose baby weight by limiting food intake was. Hoping you have much better luck than I did. :-)

And yeah....I had to squeeze in those walks whenever walking opportunities magically arose. (Sigh.)

Jennifer said...

I truly believe animals fats don't make you fat, it's the articifial/vegetable fats. I am an avid believe in Weston Price Foundation research, http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/526-skinny-on-fats.html...

in short, carbs/refined sugars/corn syrup make an unhealthy body. Eat healthy butter, meats (all the good bacon and sausage you want), real cheese, creams and dare I say...raw milk from 100% pastured cows. I lost, unintentionally, 5 pounds cutting down bread and other carb snacks.

Just my 2cents

Miss you guys!
Jennifer