Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This Time Around...

It feels great to be pregnant again.  Sometimes I even wonder if the happy hormones kicked in because I just feel awesome.  But the more I think about it, the more I realize that it must be the fact that I know what to expect this time.  Also, when being pregnant with Klaudia, I had a lot of mood swings: I would wake up purely angry or sad, or I'd start crying when watching a commercial.  I did experience a couple of days of that at the very beginning of the second pregnancy, but it's been all gone since.  So, this must be another reason why I simply feel good.

Also, I am not as exhausted as I was first time around.  There is no magic in it though.  I took care of it since day one - I make sure to take naps daily (thank goodness K is such an excellent sleeper, that I can always count on a good 2-hour nap), and I go to bed between 8-9pm (this way I get - most of the time - between 9-11 hours of sleep at night).  No wonder I feel rested during the day.

With K, my morning sickness lasted until week 15; this time it ended at around week 11, but it was much more intense.  I can honestly say that I felt sick 24/7.  I was nauseaus even in the middle of the night when waking up to use the bathroom.  It's all gone now, and I'll never miss this part of the pregnancy.

Another factor that I believe contributes to my well being is my new doctor.  My previous one retired which made it easier for me to go and find another one.  Dr. Kendrick was recommended to me by my doula - Hope.  I was looking for a doctor who would be willing to do VBAC  (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) with me.  It turns out, there aren't too many doctors willing to do so even though it's considered the safest birth for both a mother and baby.  

Dr. Kendrick has her own practice and works there alone meaning when I'm in labor, she will be the one delivering our baby.  Previously, I was informed right at the end of my pregnancy that my doctor would probably not be there with me when I deliver, since she shared her practice and delivery schedule with 4 other doctors.  This time, unless the baby decides to come on May 12th - 7 days before her due date and on Dr. Kendrick's birthday - I am guaranteed to have my doctor with me, and nobody else (Dr. K takes only one day off during the year -May 12th- her birthday).

And the main reason why I like Dr. Kendrick is because she listens to me and is willing to spend as much time as is needed to answer all of my questions.  When pregnant with K, my monthly visits never lasted longer than 2 minutes, and that included the exam and questions/answers.  My doctor would open the door right after the exam and say:  Any questions?  And even though I always had a question or two (it was my first time being pregnant!), I would often get stressed out by the lack of time and not ask any.  Dr. Kendrick on the other hand, when done doing her thing, sits down and says:  "Let's talk."  During my appointment yesterday, we talked about my contractions that started a few weeks ago.  She was a bit surprised that they started so early, so I mentioned that we were moving to a new home and that my mom had a stroke - all that must have contributed to my contractions.  She agreed and gave me some tips of what (not) to do when having a contraction.  When I was leaving her office, she gave me a big hug and said: "That's for your mom."  I thought it was a very nice gesture.

And, this time around I know I'm having a baby.  As stupid as it sounds, last time I couldn't imagine that in my growing belly there was a little human being.  It wasn't until I saw her and held her and nursed her when I realized I was a mama, absolutely madly in love mama.  This time, I've been in love since we started talking about getting pregnant.  I can't wait to hold my little baby girl in my arms and introduce her to the rest of the world.  It's going to be awesome!


2 comments:

Lisa said...

For me, too, one of the nicest things about pregnancy #2 was understanding that there was a baby in my belly and being in love with it right from the beginning. It's all so theoretical the first time around, even when you're 8 months along and baby is busily using your bladder as a trampoline. :-)

Jennifer said...

Kate, It is so warming to read your blog, thanks for posting even with out your camera :)