Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Hairy Deal

While pregnant I read that the expectant woman's hair is supposed to "blossom" during pregnancy due to the hormonal changes. The usual daily loss of hair was supposed to stop, and I was about to see what I would look with the best hair in my life. I was really looking forward to this part of my pregnancy.

Somewhere during those special 9 months I did notice that when brushing, none of my hair was coming out; the look of it, however, never improved.

After having K, I knew I had to lose all the extra hair; I was just hoping it wouldn't happen in one day. It didn't. It took about a month, but it clogged our shower drain 3 times within 4 weeks (usually it doesn't happen more than once a year).

The hair loss did affect the look. I kept telling Len that in a couple of weeks if my hair doesn't stop coming out, I'll fit in with my little family. He didn't think it was funny; neither did I.

I decided to go to the hairdresser and get help. "We need to cut it" is what I heard. "I trust you", I whispered, and off she went. While working away, my hairdresser mentioned a few times the new haircut she had for me, and how great I'm going to look in it with my natural curls.
The work she was doing took a bit longer than expected. There were 2 other customers waiting for her, and I could tell she was getting a bit impatient with what she was doing. I, on the other hand, was tired to the point that NOTHING bothered me.

Right before the end, when she was drying my hair, we both noticed that there were NO curls in it. Very nervously she started putting different products in eliciting the curls, but nothing seemed to wake them up. With the time running out and two ladies waiting for my hairdresser impatiently, she started changing my "cute-to-be" haircut. She decided that my hair doesn't curl due to the hormonal changes. After a few more cuts here and there, tons of straightening-my-hair products, I was done.

To keep it short, I did NOT like what I saw in the mirror. I was too tired to complain, but didn't have to. My hairdresser knew better and offered to "fix" my hair on some other day, whenever I was available.

That was 3 weeks ago, and I still can't find my ... availability. The hair does not curl but seems to wave on its good days.

Len took my new haircut like a man. I did call him beforehand and warned him and begged not to laugh. He didn't. And, I'm thankful for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate!!!! I TOTALLY empathize with you!! I used to have gorgeous curls. When I got pregnant, it started doing funny things, and once I had Emma, the curl had completely gone awry, with half of my head straight and the other some sort of wanna be curl.
Last week, I got a PERM from a stylist who assured me it would not look like 1990. and would be great.
It was not. It looked exactly like 1990. I got home and cried!

I feel your pain!